Rancho Santa Fe Residential Site
The owner of a one-acre residential site in Rancho Santa Fe, Calif., wanted to reduce high water bills.
The homeowner hired Blue Watchdog Conservation, Inc., of Cardiff, Calif., to improve outdoor water-use efficiency. The company installed a web-based irrigation controller with flow sensors, and it retrofitted sprinklers that were part of a 20-year-old system. Blue Watchdog also added a sub-meter to the irrigation system for mainline leak detection, and it collaborated with the onsite gardener. Water use is tracked each month and reported to the homeowner.
- The homeowner saved $1,193 on water bills in 2012.
- Water use was 67 percent lower than the historical average in December 2012.
- Water savings averaged 40 percent over a one-year period compared to historical use.
- Twelve leaks were detected and immediately fixed over a three-year period.
- The project yielded a return on investment in 18 months.